Monday, August 16, 2010

Day 77: A Slippery Slope

Lesson learned yesterday: a half-assed workout can lead to a half-assed day.

I'm not happy about admitting this, but I didn't really try very hard in my workout yesterday morning. I was really tired and just had a hard time getting going. I finished everything, but I did the minimum reps and didn't really keep up the pace between the exercises. Okay, not great, but no big deal in itself. There are energetic days and there are slower days, and I expect that I won't be able to push myself to the limit every single day for the rest of my life.

But then I noticed that I felt much less inclined to be disciplined about my food for the rest of the day. I didn't go seriously off the rails, but I found myself prowling the pantry in the afternoon looking for something sweet. I ate some extra bread that I didn't need to eat, and a little bit of chocolate too. I felt bad afterwards just because it was so dumb and pointless.

I've been doing morning workouts as much as possible because it's easier for me in terms of timing. But I think it also really sets the tone for the day. If I'm up at 5:30am jumping rope, I'm much less likely to sabotage my good work with unnecessary eating. I'm also becoming aware of the emotional situations that lead me to start eating when I'm not hungry, so that's helping too.

Just to be clear, I'm not beating myself up about this. But I am trying to learn a lesson from it. I stuck to my eating plan for the rest of the day yesterday, and the jumping was just fine this morning. I've got many, many more chances to get it right.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a perfect lesson-learned experience. Good job bouncing back, Tara! (Plus, I personally think it's a win that you stayed on your eating plan for the rest of the day after you indulged a little bit. that's important!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great lesson to keep in mind. Thanks for the input.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, strictness is important not for any one thing but because you'll want to "stay on your winning streak". Each time you don't give in makes the next not giving in easier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it is hard to put all my energy to workout all the time. But I have to remind myself that I chose to do this program so I'd better push myself to the limit.
    But it was extremely hot today...

    ReplyDelete