Sunday, August 1, 2010

Day 62: Checking in

A largely uneventful day on the PCP. Interesting that it's starting to feel routine.

Workout was fine this morning -- tough, sweaty, 58 minutes. I'm not dreading the workouts anymore -- just mildly rejecting the idea of working out up until the moment I start jumping. (This is progress!) I don't feel totally wrecked afterwards either. So of course I think this means I'm not working hard enough. We'll see what next week brings.

Salt and sugar cravings are a little less powerful today but still present. A very small piece of dark chocolate, dissolved on the tongue, took the edge off. I still don't like that these feelings are happening, and I don't really know how to deal with them. I'm reminding myself of my goals, reminding myself that cravings are just thoughts and therefore like clouds passing in front of the sun. But, damn, they're persistent! Hence the dark chocolate. Trying to appease the monsters a little bit, maybe even welcome them in, and then they might go away.

Naptime.... :)

5 comments:

  1. When I workout with Patrick, it's done in minimum time but when I do at home it took longer. It's just recently I became focused to keep it in 1 hour and it feels good. I understand "just mildly rejecting the idea of working out up until the moment I star jumping", because I feel the same way.
    Hope your salt and sugar cravings will go away soon !

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you counting the exercises and the jump rope within the 1hr? i havnt been able to keep it all under - i think i rest to long between jumps?

    those dam salt and sugar cravings! your doing really well keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a PCPer, but I definitely find that (a) I am weaker when on the rag, meaning I can't do as many reps of whatever exercise (and ALL the reps feel way weaker and crappier than usual) and therefore (b) I crave sugar to get my suddenly-sluggish system moving, and (c) regardless of what I eat or do at the gym, I feel bloated and heavy and crappy and generally have very negative feelings about myself that sap my motivation and make it hard to believe that any of my long-term goals are attainable.

    Dark chocolate in small quantities seems like an excellent choice of "decoy indulgence" for the demons! Esp. if you can find the time to sit down for 5 minutes with a cup of tea and said chocolate and have the indulgence of a quiet moment as well :-)

    You are looking amazing BTW!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Rebecca! You don't have to be a PCP'er to comment & have some insight. :)

    It's good to hear that I'm not the only one who feels a definite monthly weirdness. It's not an excuse for any kind of behavior, but the feelings are easier to deal with if I can point to something and understand them.

    Mmmmm, cup of tea sounds good too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Kowhai -- yes, the entire workout, jumping & strength, in under an hour. It makes a big difference! I definitely feel better to just get it done, and I'm sure there are good physical effects too.

    ReplyDelete