Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Day 78: Really? Really??

It's day 78?? Wow, I think I am actually going to finish this thing! ;-)

Just finished today's workout, it went really well. Jumping 7 minutes at a time is hard, but I bet we're going to have to do even longer stretches. I still trip pretty often but I just restart as soon as I can. By the end, I'm panting and sweating, so I guess I'm doing it right!

I REALLY DISLIKE AB WORK. I don't know what it is about the feeling of working ab muscles that I find much harder to tolerate than, say, burning leg muscles or shoulder muscles. When I really get into ab work I feel like I'm going to throw up.

BUT... it doesn't really matter because I'm doing it anyway! I'm thinking that, like my other angry/frustrated/aversion feelings about exercise, those feelings about ab work will slowly get a little quieter. In the meantime, grrrrrrrrr......

My husband made a statement last night that was so simple, so obvious, yet I hadn't really thought about it before. He was saying, "Well, you only have a little more time left on this program, so you'd better really hit those workouts hard." I said something like, "I'm really happy with the progress I've made, but I'm not finished -- I still have a lot of work to do. I'm not going to reach my ideal shape in 90 days." And then he said, "I've got a feeling it's not really about the 90 days."

--mind stops for a moment--

OH, he's right! It's good to have a fixed time period to focus on, to help keep me going when I feel tired and frustrated. "Only 46 more days left..." But, yeah, it's not really about the 90 days. And guess what? That statement doesn't make me feel depressed and trapped, like I'm going to be on some horrendous exhausting program for the rest of my life. It makes me feel like this has been an amazing apprenticeship of sorts, learning how my body works and what to do to make it as healthy as possible. It's not really about the 90 days.

That said, 12 more days! Ay yi yi!

8 comments:

  1. Oh god, the way you feel about ab work is the way I feel about leg work. Tuesdays are by far the most difficult workout for me.

    I might cry when this is over. God, I'm such a sap! 12 more days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way you feel about ab work and the way Jenny feels about leg work is the way I feel about shoulder work!!!

    I also am getting very sappy about the pending day 90...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Tara! Don't you love those a-ha! moments?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa, your husband is like, way wise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The way you feel about ab work, the way Jenny feels about leg work and the way Elena feel about shoulder work is the way I feel about JUMPING !!!

    Jenny, you're not the only one, I am pretty sure that I'll cry when this is over!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BAAH it's never about the 90 days!
    i've got my new roommate Maria into working out, when we move in we are doing pcp workouts every morning before the comic store below us opens, large bowl of fruit by our window. NEW LIFE, NEW bodies, NEW MINDS. FOR-EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha, i feel that way about the leg work like Jenny. yey 12 more days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Life work. My life's work.
    Tara is working loving living choosing her life.

    Choice.

    She is smiling. Tara is strong Tara is intentional.

    ReplyDelete