Sunday, August 22, 2010

Day 83: Busy

It's been a busy few days around here, and the weekend is winding down. I'm grateful for that, because I am TIRED. All good, though.

Friday night we went to a baseball game with my parents and some of their friends. My dad says the (minor league) baseball stadium isn't really a stadium, it's a food court where some people play baseball. The food options were truly dizzying. Every 10 feet, another stand with different things. I packed my own supper, though -- chicken & mushrooms in a teeny bit of soy sauce, and whole wheat bread. Can I tell you, I was so HAPPY to have my good food with me and not have to try to find something decent there? Everybody else with us pointed to my food and said, "I think I want some of that!" I gave myself permission to have a beer, but I wanted to wait until I had eaten something first -- then as it turned out, I didn't really want the beer, so I skipped it.

Last night was Indulgence #3. We headed to this French restaurant called Le Relais, a classic bistro in an unusual setting. It's located in a wing of the old airport in town, which is now a private airfield. The airport building is very art deco, and the whole place kind of captures the romance of flying in the 1930s and 40s. We sat outside on a beautiful evening and watched the planes take off and land. We ate very well -- crab cakes, grouper with vegetable risotto, creme brulee, wine, and bread with BUTTER. (Oh, butter, it's been a while...) Being a good French restaurant, though, the portion sizes were fairly small and I didn't feel overstuffed when we left.

It was all really good, but I have to say, not as exciting as this meal would have been a few months ago. What I really enjoyed -- and I experienced this during the last indulgence when we went to a restaurant -- was being in a beautiful setting with my husband, having the time and luxury to focus on each other and talk without telling a little person to "put that down right now." It also felt very luxurious to have someone else prepare the food and then take the dirty dishes away! So, lesson learned: restaurant meals out are nice for the experience, but the food has become a lot less important.

Today we went to a friends' house to go swimming this afternoon. I crammed in my workout this morning (58 minutes! Boo-ya!) and let me tell you, jumping was rough this morning. I didn't experience any particular side effects from my indulgence last night, but it took me a long time to get my jumping groove today. Maybe too much butter and wine? Who knows, but it was not pretty for a while there. I thought I'd be exhausted this afternoon but I spent about 90 minutes in the pool with my daughter, and feeling fine. It's so nice to have energy and endurance to do all the things this 2-year-old wants me to do.

OK, time to catch up on Project Runway from this week. Hope everybody has had a good weekend -- will be reading your blogs soon and catching up with you all!

4 comments:

  1. Your dad's comment made me laugh out loud! Ha!

    Damn, 58 minutes on yesterday's workout. Woot! You should've seen me dragging my feet through that one. UGH! Feeling loads better today. Thanks for your post yesterday, I was thinking of you (and being a sick mother) while whining through that post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. im with jenny on this. on days when i feel my energy zapped, i dont know how you do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love minor league ball and hate the way they've turned the parks into nonstop vendors. I can totally believe that everyone wanted some of your food instead.

    ReplyDelete