Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Day 86: Super!

I am surprised to say this, but I like super sets! More interesting to mix it up than just doing the same motion for 5 sets in a row. I felt tired but invigorated at the end of today's workout.

And doing planks to failure -- that was a revelation. I have had real issues, shall we say, with planks. So much emotion comes up, and it's so difficult to stay with the position, that I have struggled to keep up with the prescribed times. I watch that time tick away and watch my mind get louder and crazier, despite my efforts to breathe and stay focused and calm. So far I have been able to do maybe 60-80 seconds at a time, once or twice reaching 90 seconds under great duress. Today, I just set my stopwatch and then looked away, just because I was curious to see how long I could hold. Uh, first one was about 1:40 (and I think I probably could have gone longer, if I'm honest). OK, ok, I finally get it. Planks are a mental exercise, at least for me. This is hugely encouraging.

I would really love for my developing ab muscles to become visible, but they're still mostly hidden underneath my "wrinkly elephant belly," as Sarah put it. Things really never are the same after a baby, and that's okay. My amazing body gave me a fantastic kid, and if wrinkly elephant belly is the price I pay, I'll take it. But I'm interested to see how good I can make it. I can feel my abs underneath a layer of pudge, and they're pretty hard. Sometimes I just stand in the kitchen, poking my stomach joyfully and looking like a goof. I started out with more fat to lose, so there's still some work to be done in that area. It's coming, though!

Happy day 86, team! Starting to get nostalgic in advance for you guys.

3 comments:

  1. While your bone structure will never be quite the same after a baby, you CAN get rid of the wrinkly baby elephant fat. It just takes a while (about 18 months). You can have it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or in my case...16 years!

    Doing great Tara. I'm going to miss your thoughtful introspective well written posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like super sets, too.

    Mmmmm how long would it be in my case... ???

    ReplyDelete