Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Day 85: Ass, kicked

Wow, I asked my PCP buddies to bring it and it was brought. (Brung? Brang? Broughted?) Thank you all for such a delightful ass-kicking. If you have any further ass-kicking to share with me, I'll still take it. But your words helped me get through today's workout, and I only felt wrecked for about 20 minutes afterward, instead of hours.

Pistol squats followed by floor jumps are hard but kinda fun. I wasn't really sweating that much after my jump rope, but the waterworks started right after the floor jumps. At least floor jumps produce a nice breeze.

I had trouble finding failure on the shoulder fly. I did about 50 during the first set and then realized something wasn't happening correctly. I changed my distance from the wall, I adjusted my feet, I tried a wider or smaller range of motion, and I tried holding for a second at the point of highest tension. I still never really got to that point that I recognize as "failure" from some other exercises. So in the end, I just did a ton of them and will try to figure it out next time.

Damn, those ab exercises are tedious.

I am once again delighted by the general absence of anger, fear, or panic in my workouts. Boredom, difficulty, a little intimidation -- yes, yes, and yes. But I'm not feeling resentful or tearful or anything that I used to feel during a tough workout. If I can push myself and do all the reps, great. If I can't do all the reps, that's fine too -- that means I hit today's limit and that's a good thing. Whatever "today's limit" happens to be, that doesn't reflect on me as a person in any way. It's just where my body is today.

Time for lunch -- shrimp, avocado, cherry tomatoes, tortilla. Yummmmmmmmmm...

7 comments:

  1. Consensus seems to be that floor jumps were an idea created by the devil to punish evil dictators, but even the original prince of darkness thought they were a bit mean. Then Patrick and Chen came along........

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too was out of breath on the floorjumps! hard mothas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its not a floor jump unless you are quivering and nauseous after each set....

    As Mikhael said, the orange is touching your blue guy! So close!!! Hang in there, let it be brungteded!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lunch. Yum. By the way, I went to a mexican restaurant last night and if one can leap frog over the chips ... shrimp ceviche is really healthy. Mine came with three tortillias, which had almost no salt on them (miracle)... just some slices of avocado. Perfect for a meal!

    You can do this, Tara. Floor jumps and all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jason, help me here: orange is touching my blue guy? Is that a video game reference? I should probably ask my husband... but I get the general drift!

    ReplyDelete