Saturday, July 3, 2010

Day 33: Keepin' on keepin' on

Got up at 6am to do my workout this morning, because my husband is working all weekend and there's no daycare today, tomorrow or Monday. I can always exercise when my daughter is napping, but it's really nicer to be able to take that time to enjoy my lunch, read a little bit, and maybe have a short nap myself. I don't really enjoy when that alarm goes off at 6 but I'm happy when I'm finished with the workout and I feel very virtuous as I eat my breakfast.

I have to be honest and say that I've been dreading the workouts all week. They've gotten so much harder that I am really pushing myself to get through them. I'm proud of myself because I have done every single rep of every single exercise, except for the day I misunderstood and substituted 8MA for the leg-ups and planks -- an honest oops. But I'm definitely not enjoying the workouts as much as I used to. On one level, it doesn't really matter how much I enjoy them -- I'm doing it anyway, and I'm giving everything I have. I was complaining about this to my mom yesterday, and she reminded me that I won't have to work out to this extent every day for the rest of my life. That was really helpful. Plain and simple, I'm not used to working this hard. But that's why I was in the condition I was when I started the PCP, and if I want to change my condition, I have to change my actions.

But damn, these workouts are rough!

This is a point in my monthly cycle when my energy is pretty low, though, and that also explains the crazy sugar cravings. So, gotta push through, keep doing my best, rest when I can, and maybe things will be better next week.

Last night my husband and I went to a "gallery hop" in the growing gallery district here in Louisville. It's in an area of downtown that's just coming back from ruin, which of course is the hippest part of town. Lots of amazing field-to-table restaurants, interesting art galleries and other shops. There are always a couple of bands that just show up and play on the street, and especially on a beautiful summer evening, it's fun to wander up and down the street, popping into whatever gallery catches your eye. We saw a very large photo last night that we both found totally captivating -- here's a link to the image.

Every single place we entered had some wine, cheese & crackers, etc, set out -- normally I would have been snacking my way up and down the street, but I didn't have a single bite. It was easier than I would have thought -- I had already eaten my dinner and really wasn't hungry. But I also felt somewhat isolated. The gallery food wasn't the big temptation -- yum, warm sweaty cheese and cheap wine! -- but the lovely restaurants and big tables of people enjoying themselves were. We've gone to these evenings before, and normally we have dinner somewhere in the neighborhood before. It's nice to feel like part of society, even if that society is not in "peak condition." I know that this is what I have to do now, and I'm looking forward to that day when I can eat in a restaurant, making better food & drink choices than I used to, but still enjoying the setting and the company.

Hope everybody's having a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. As you've said, you've done the restaurant thing before. But how many times have you buckled down and really gotten your body where you want it? Choose this experience once over a nice restaurant for the 100th time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a cool photograph.
    It is awkward to feel 'outside' of normal societal eating patterns-- the communal buffet, the indulgent night out-- but part of this re-education around eating takes some time being apart. You are working hard and eating right and feeling good. It is great that you've made these steps for 33 days already! You deserve to give yourself a chance to stick it out, through the hard workouts, the socially awkward eating, to give your body and mind a chance to reset to real foods, flavors and fitness.
    You can do it, Tara! Moreover, you should do it for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh, Tara, I feel you. On all fronts. I was struggling with V-sits yesterday and thinking WTF am I doing this last, evil set for...but then I remembered ya'll struggling through it and I finished. The food, wow, it's hard around my family but I've only slipped up a couple times, and they were small bits of VERY rich foods. We'll make it, Tara! And, the pay-off is so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These workouts are tough!
    But when I did my workout yesterday, I was proud of myself and I am proud of all of you doing these tough workouts!!!!!

    ReplyDelete