Monday, July 19, 2010

Day 49: A little rest

These jump-rope-only days seem to come along just when I need them. When I'm at the point where I want to throw my resistance bands into the river and I desperately need to sleep a little later in the morning -- yippee, only jump rope today! It just drives home how intensely pleasurable a break can be when you've been working hard. And the hard work is exactly what makes that break such a treat.

And speaking of a treat -- seems like everybody is super-excited about the upcoming indulgence! So am I, and I'm trying to decide exactly how to spend it. I'm thinking about going to one of the restaurants I wanted to try the night we went to the downtown gallery hop -- it's a seasonal cooking kind of place, where the menu changes every night depending on what's good at the market. Some part of me says I should go for the gusto like Jenny -- Chick-fil-a here I come! -- but I was thinking about what I really want to eat, and it's good fresh food. I want to try something a little more interesting and creative than what I'm normally eating, I don't want to have to shy away from cheese or oil or (gasp!) a glass of wine with it, but if I'm honest I don't really want fast food. Not at all. I want something delicious and surprising, prepared by somebody who really knows what they're doing, in a beautiful setting. We're checking on babysitters and hope to go sometime this weekend.

I really feel what Jenny was saying about social isolation in terms of the PCP -- food is SUCH a part of social interaction, it's hard to step back from that and set yourself apart. But I think it does get easier, especially if you can eat at home (yours or someone else's. Restaurants are still near-impossible.). Last night I was at my parents' house for a birthday dinner for my aunt -- apparently, this is Birthday Week -- and I just brought my food with me and explained to everybody what I was doing. I alternated my bites of egg white with feeding my daughter beef ribs, pasta salad, fruit & cake -- so the food was right in front of me the entire time, on my fork. Temptation doesn't get much closer than that. But I really wasn't so tempted. The meat smelled really good, the cake looked good, but this was the easiest time I've had so far in this kind of situation. Sometimes I can hardly believe this is me, feeling okay with my little plate of boiled egg & fruit.

Feeling a little less tired today, a little less Valley. But I know that email with diets & workouts is coming soon -- who knows what it will say this time?? In the meantime, I'm hanging in there and hoping you are too.

4 comments:

  1. Yes! Go to a restaurant, have a date with your man and drink some wine! :) Don't bother with the Chick-fil-a, you won't regret it. Story to come later tonight when I settle down with a large plate of steamed veggies and grilled salmon to balance out the fast food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The restaurant you are going looks really nice !

    I don't know how I want to use my indulgence yet. It's more important for me to spend good time at the restaurant with nice atmosphere like the one you've chosen than to eat something heavy or sweat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can hear less fatigue in your post today. I think you're on your way up and out of the ditch of despair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Climbing out of the valley one step at a time! Good vibes!

    ReplyDelete