Thursday, July 22, 2010

Day 52: Careful, careful...

Just finished my workout and my post-workout snack. Mmmmmm! I'm feeling much better today, seem to be totally over my cold. I don't think I've ever recovered so quickly from a bad cold like that. Wow, resting works!

But I'm seeing the aftereffects of having skipped one day's workout. Even though it was a conscious decision and I did the right thing, it's been a little tough to get mentally restarted. When I did yesterday's workout, it had really been TWO days since a real workout (Monday was jump-rope only, I was sick on Tuesday) so I was almost mentally unprepared for an hourlong pain extravaganza. I could really see my sneaky sneaky mind, trying to talk me out of doing all the sets or paying attention to the muscles I was trying to work. I went to the grocery store for chicken, yogurt and eggs, and all of a sudden, the junk food that I hadn't paid attention to in a while suddenly looked interesting. What the hell??

I spent 49 days making sure I got all my PCP tasks taken care of, and then I have ONE day where I skip the workout -- still stuck to the diet, mind you -- and my brain is ready to relapse? Wow, so interesting. In today's workout, I could see that impulse to cop out a little bit as well. I'm not worried about a grand crash-and-burn where I eat 15 donuts at once or something -- more likely is that I'll cut corners here and there, but still think I'm doing everything correctly, and then be puzzled when I don't get results. This is what I need to look out for right now.

Indulgence tonight! Reservations at the restaurant, babysitter booked, friends going along. Should be a fun evening!

And in other news -- I just booked a somewhat spontaneous trip to Florida for the weekend. My mom's best friend has a house in Ft. Myers Beach, and the two of them are there for ten days. My mom's friend's daughter lives in Ft. Lauderdale and is going to drive over for the weekend, so I asked my mother-in-law to come for the weekend to help take care of the baby (my husband is working this weekend) and I'm headed down from Friday afternoon to Monday evening. My mom, her friend, her friend's daughter and I usually take a weekend girls' trip somewhere every year, so all of a sudden, we're doing it this weekend. Woo hoo!

I'm really looking forward to a little beach time, a little girl time, and a little me time. I don't anticipate any problems keeping up with the PCP while I'm there, since we'll be in a house with a kitchen, and it's easy to pack a jumprope and resistance bands. (Yet another reason to love this exercise plan!) Usually our weekends together are full of restaurants and booze, but for various reasons, I think we all need a break from that. I'm sure there will be plenty of wine consumed, just not by me this time.

I don't know how much I'll be able to post while I'm gone, since I don't think there's a computer at the house. But I'll check in when I can, and I'll be sending all of you good vibes! (And I'll wave to Jenny as I fly overhead tomorrow afternoon!) Hopefully I can do a short post about the indulgence tomorrow before I leave.

Hope everybody is getting through the PCP Valley as best they can. :)

3 comments:

  1. I'll wave back as you fly by! :) Enjoy Florida! Too bad we won't be closer to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take this as a chance to get some awesome workouts in. Email me and I'll give you the PCP vacation PRO TIPS baby! OH YEAH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm coming out of the valley. I rested, cut back on the exercises. It was a good lesson that I'm not tied to any "plan" except what my body actually needs. I'm tied to my body. Learning to listen to it. The wisdom of the body.

    You are already very good at listening to your body. The beach will be a wonderful place for a long conversation with the body of Tara.

    ReplyDelete