Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Day 50: Sick

I've got a cold. I've been feeling it coming on for the past couple of days -- some post-nasal drainage, sore throat -- but I was willing it to go away. It came roaring in last night and, as of this morning, is firmly settled in. Rivers of snot, stuffy in the head, achy in the body. Blaarrrrghhh.

I just dropped my daughter off at day care and went to go jump rope. I re-read Patrick's email about what to do when you're sick on the PCP, and I thought I'd give my workout a try, but wouldn't sweat it if I couldn't do everything. After the first set of jumps, I was woozy and dizzy, so I think I'm done for the moment. I have about 3 hours before I have to pick her up, and then my rest time for the day is pretty much over. So I think I'm going to spend the morning just taking it easy, and hopefully go for a walk or a swim later in the day if I'm feeling better.

This is a delicate mental moment -- in my previous life, I would take just about any excuse to skip a workout, but now I really don't want to give an inch. I want to keep moving forward and giving it my all. I haven't missed a workout yet, in 50 days! That is incredible for me. The perfectionist Tara says that I should put my shoes back on and get back in there. But, wow, I feel like crap. So I'm going to listen to my body and take it easy this morning at least, see how things are later.

Interesting that this happens just as I start to feel like I'm climbing out of the valley! Mentally I am soooooo ready to do that workout today, which is a rare and beautiful thing. I wonder if I can bank that feeling and pull it out another day when my motivation is flagging...

7 comments:

  1. You'll get over this real quick if you rest. Better to miss 2 days and get better than 6 trying to be hardcore and making it worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you'll feel better soon. Take a very good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yucky! Take it easy, Tara! Sending you healing vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. TAKE IT EASY today tara, you're doing absolutely fantastic!!! health first so the body can shine better later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, these are great and helpful awarenesses to have, Tara! Knowing that your response to being sick and missing workouts has changed, deciding to listen to your body...you're doing great. Even though you may not doing the "perfect" program, you're actually doing the perfect program for you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remember the way you feel mentally - the way you want to be able to work out right now. Then, on a day when you're not sick but feeling 'meh' about the workout, go back to this feeling and summon it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been given permission to rest!!! Be a perfectionist and rest perfectly.

    ReplyDelete