Friday, July 23, 2010

Day 53: Travel day

Posting from my iPhone in the Orlando airport today. This is the land of tired kids in Mickey Mouse hats, and a GIANT poster advertising the new Harry Potter theme park that I would LOVE to visit. Just wanted to check in with my PCP peeps today during my layover. From where I'm sitting, I can see McDonald's, Sbarro, Freshens, Au Bon Pain, and Starbucks. I used to take solo airplane travel as an opportunity to eat junk -- after all, I'm never going to see these people again. If it wasn't fast food it was candy. I wondered how I would react to being in that situation today, and I can honestly say: no problem. Not tempted. I think I'm going to hit up the Starbucks for an iced tea but since I'm not hungry I think that'll be it. I scoped out a food stand with lots of fruit & veg on it, though, so I'm covered if I need something.


I worked out this morning before leaving home, and I brought my lunch to the airport and ate it at the gate. A funny thing happened while I was munching my carrot & celery sticks. (I brought them because they were what I had ready in my fridge and what I thought would still be good in an hour.) A very nice older lady next to me patted my arm and said, "You're doing a great job on your diet." I smiled and said thank you. It was funny, though: I guess the assumption is that anyone eating carrots and celery (in public, no less) must be "on a diet." I mean, I guess technically I am, but I can honestly say i preferred my fresh veggies to the Quizno's subs or whatever that people were eating nearby. Airport food, blurrrrgggh!

My mom has been at the beach house for a day already and went to the grocery store earlier today with the list I gave her, so I'll be all set once i get there. I feel more relaxed already!

Indulgence dinner was wonderful last night -- delicious, seasonal food served in reasonable (read: small by American standards) portions in a lovely setting with fun companions. I have more observations and pictures but I'll wait to write a real post about it. One interesting takeaway: the lemon tart with dark chocolate was so-so but the fresh raspberries nestled in whipped cream as a garnish were f'ing amazing. Funny, huh?

4 comments:

  1. Love that story about the old lady complementing you on your diet. May I use that during presentations?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you see me wave at you? :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope it was relaxing and fun...

    ReplyDelete