Friday, July 30, 2010

Day 60: Out of the valley?

I think I'm done with this whole PCP Valley thing. Yes, this is hard. Yes, I still have a lot of work to do. But the rewards are so great -- and not just physical.

Here's what I've been thinking about for the past couple of days: integrity. To me, integrity means that your actions match your thoughts, your intentions, and your beliefs. I believe in self-discipline, curiosity, openness, continuous improvement -- and yet, I wasn't really carrying out those beliefs when it came to my physical health. My intellectual, spiritual, musical, and professional development have always been important to me, and I've always pursued those areas. But I neglected my physical health and somehow decided that it wasn't as important.

I've written before about how I was sick a lot as a child -- serious asthma, a couple of cases of pneumonia that landed me in the hospital for a couple of times, most recently when I was 18 and had to be on IV antibiotics for a few weeks -- and I know that as a result of those experiences, I turned inward and turned to books. I was never very good at physical things (that B in gym class always ruined my chance for straight A's) so I didn't try very hard at them, but I won those spelling bees left and right.

As I've gotten older I've started to realize I can no longer neglect my physical health, because I don't want to spend the second half of my life hobbled by preventable illness or obesity. I see people all around me, especially here in Kentucky, who spend most of their energy just trying to cope with their poor condition. I don't want to be that person.

I also don't want to be the person who is ignoring an entire realm of her being, her body. So I feel that in order to really live with integrity, I need to be doing just what I'm doing: exercising and paying attention to what I eat. Although this body is temporary, it's the only one I have for this life.

And here's how hard the leg exercises were for me today: I was excited to do the ab exercises because I could lie down. Ab work is the toughest for me, but my legs were super-wobbly after all those sets of creep, then standing for all the shoulder work. Woo hoo!

And since many of us are thinking about good music for working out, I'll share a few of my current favorites. Most if not all of these songs are available on iTunes. I'd love to hear what you're listening to -- always need some new tunes!

ART BRUT -- Alcoholics Unanimous, DC Comics and Chocolate Milkshake, The Replacements, Twist and Shout, My Little Brother, Modern Art (I think "Modern Art" is my favorite -- I scream right along with the screams in the chorus)

BEASTIE BOYS -- Sure Shot, Bodhisattva Vow, Body Movin

BECK -- E-Pro, Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat

BEN HARPER -- Shimmer and Shine, Boots Like These

BJORK -- Army of Me (dear sweet little Bjork gets medieval on your ass)

THE BLUE VAN -- Silly Boy

CAKE -- The Distance, I Will Survive (best disco cover EVER)

THE CLASH -- London Calling, Know Your Rights, White Riot

DESSA -- Children's Work, The Bullpen (a new discovery for me -- amazing rapper from Minnesota)

GOMEZ -- Hamoa Beach, Airstream Driver

JANELLE MONAE -- Tightrope, Come Alive (Tightrope is THE song of the summer)

JILL SCOTT -- Hate on Me

K'NAAN -- Dreamer, Waving Flag, ABC's (if you don't know K'Naan yet, you're missing out)

NICOLAI DUNGER -- Way Up High, Hunger, Soul Rush (one of my very very favorite musicians -- Swedish singer-songwriter, shades of Van Morrison with a dash of drunken crazy genius)

RADIOHEAD -- Bodysnatchers

TROMBONE SHORTY -- Backatown, Suburbia, Where Y'at (New Orleans funk-groove)

8 comments:

  1. oooh i love the music sharing idea. im going to have a listen to some of these this weekend - i am always looking for new music!

    back on track Tara woooooooooooooo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. K'naan is AMAZING! Agreed, Tara. Yes, I'll post a little music inspiration later with food pics.

    And, on the body, more and more I'm starting to look at how people treat their body, their most precious gift. I'm confused by what I see and what I've seen in myself. Soul and mind are all connected to the body. Neglecting one means hurting all. Why would I take care of my computer and car better than I'd take car of my own body? It's the ultimate machine, created by the universe. It deserves much respect and TLC, and not the kind of TLC that equals binging on ice cream and sitting in front of the TV all day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo, I love this post.

    Agree with everything.

    Walked to mirror in the morning and saw hints of abs and thought " all this pain isn't so bad at all".

    working ina super market , i see atleast 75 percent of the people in motorized chairs, their large stomachs hanging over the control panel. This is what we have come to? It just be of utmost importance to avoid a future like that.

    Nothing is more important than health.

    Once ya got it, you can help people way better than before.

    TEAM SEEEXXAAY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen, sista!!!

    And THANKS for the music reccos - I am in dire need!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony." Mahatma Gandhi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tara, great post AND your arms are looking amazing! I can see lines there - totally awesome! I'm still working for those muscle lines myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And your abs, too !

    I was very frustrated with myself not doing any regular exercises since I stopped running 1 and half year ago and I was drinking (not so much) and couldn't resist any sweets I see!!
    I knew I have to change my life style otherwise I would have to spend miserable old age in the near future.
    I am so glad that I found PCP and I actually started the program. As Patrick wrote in today's email. He didn't reply to my email right away and it took for a while to actually communicate with him. But when I know this is it, I have to do it. I am glad you are doing PCP and I am doing PCP with you in the same group !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your authentic and honest post. I also was sick for many years as a child, had many operations (abdominal...I'm full of scars) and always saw myself as a sick frail person.

    What you've written is very helpful for me personally.

    I could have written this:
    I know that as a result of those experiences, I turned inward and turned to books. I was never very good at physical things (that B in gym class always ruined my chance for straight A's) so I didn't try very hard at them, but I won those spelling bees left and right.

    As I've gotten older I've started to realize I can no longer neglect my physical health, because I don't want to spend the second half of my life hobbled by preventable illness or obesity.

    ReplyDelete