Thursday, July 1, 2010

Day 31: Come on, gang! Get tight!

Yes, I did 8 Minute Abs this morning. Too funny! I think the low production values and goofy vibe made it totally entertaining. But I definitely felt it!

I'm struggling this morning and feeling grumpy. The workout today really kicked my ass. I was a quivering ball of exhaustion after the floor jumps. (But felt like I had done them correctly!) I couldn't sustain more than one set of elevated triceps dips -- on the second set, I actually fell onto the floor, so finished up the sets with my legs straight but feet on the floor. Double katanas are pretty much impossible -- even with standing only one foot on the band, I can move my arms about two inches, so that's what I'm doing. And I just could not bear the idea of planks today, so 8MA it was.

I'm trying to get my head around this idea that failure is good here. That when I'm rolling on the floor moaning after the last set of floor jumps, that's actually a sign of success. My intellect tells me that reaching the point of failure means I am making progress. My ego wants to stop feeling like such a weakling, wants to do what I can do well and be proud of that. Everything feels upside down when I try to look at reaching my limits (or whatever my limits are today) as a positive sign. Sometimes I can only focus on how pitiful those limits seem to me.

But, as my husband said this morning, "You're less of a weakling than you used to be!" Thanks, honey. (At least he made me laugh.)

I've had a couple of other things happen in the past couple of days that have undermined my confidence. I had a small car accident on Tuesday -- nobody was hurt, just me vs. parking garage gate, but it did some damage -- so I'm spending my time taking the car in for estimates, talking to insurance, and being mad at myself for rushing and making an error. And parenting really kicked my ass yesterday too. My daughter is almost 2 years old, very verbal, very independent, and she's interested in exploring her (my) limits too! Normally she's a lot of fun to be with, although she can be tiring, but yesterday she was repeating one particular aggressive behavior and it took a long time and a lot of work to get her to stop. I was really grateful when the day was over.

I'm glad I got the workout done early this morning again -- at least that's over! I think today I'm hitting more of the "grim" in GRIM ENTHUSIASM. Some days are like that. I think I'll take the next couple of hours to chill out and see if I can get my mojo back.

Hope everybody is hanging in there! And welcome to the new PCPers! As Royce would say, WEEEOOOOOOO.

5 comments:

  1. Your husband made me laugh, too!

    Keep your chin up, Tara! Life just isn't easy and it's always throwing curveballs when you least expect it. I admire your dedication to do this while trying to raise a 2-year old. You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm...I thought I'd commented on this post already. Bah! You're husband made me laugh, too. :) Haha! Good hubby!

    I really admire your dedication to this project, even with a 2 year old daughter to guide through life. I mean, that's hardcore! Children are, well, a daunting responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! There it is...weird. Computers are so strange. Well, I'll just spam you today! How about that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't skip planks! Planks will set you free!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tara - your pictures are fab this week!! I can see a real difference, even just between this week and last!

    ReplyDelete