Sunday, July 4, 2010

Day 34: CTFU

CTFU = cheer the f*** up.

This is a little in-joke between me and my husband -- when I'm feeling unreasonably grumpy, he says, "Hey. CTFU." And it always makes me laugh.

It's time to CTFU about the PCP. I've been grumping my way through the workouts, I've been gazingly longingly at all the food I'm *not* eating, I've been "poor me"-ing through the past few days. I'm doing the plan the way I'm supposed to, but my thoughts are making it a lot worse than it has to be.

I've heard it before: pain is inevitable, suffering is not. Any day that includes 4 sets of 25 leg-ups is definitely going to contain pain. But can I find a way to let go of some of the suffering?

I'm saying all this in a purely theoretical way at the moment -- I already did my workout this morning and I was in a wash of pain AND suffering. I went to church with my parents this morning and sat through the post-church potluck lunch munching on raw carrots -- that was pain (because I was hungry) and suffering (because all the food looked really good). Several people said, "Oh, you're not eating?" Um, nope. This is a Unitarian church so it was heavy on the vegetables/grains and I considered getting myself a plate -- but we're still in the South so I decided to pass, thinking everything would be full of oil and salt. Better to wait until I got home and could eat exactly what I need.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow and my jump-rope-only workout (I did 800 jumps today with no pain! Adding 100 every day, and I'll be caught up to the rest of you by the end of this week.) and I'm going to take the time to really think about why I'm doing this in the first place and see how I can be in less of a bad mood about it.

Thanks to my PCP team, who have been giving me the good thoughts and words when I need them! I'm so proud of all of us!

6 comments:

  1. I think I will remember to CTFU when I'm having some not wanting to workout moments, too. Thanks! Now CTFU! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe it or not, it's much better to be going through this on Day 34 than in the 50s and 60s, when your compatriots will be in the same place mentally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will tell myself CTFU!

    Ah munching on raw carrots at the post-church potluck lunch!
    I was eating broccoli and lettuce without dressing at the reunion table.

    CTFU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey CTFU is great! just what i need too. Ive been grumping thtrough the exercises - i always seem to think that im not gona get through them all but somehow I do, while cursing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your comment about Unitarians and their grains at coffee hour. We regular old Protestants have donuts and cookies and all manner of dreadful things.

    I too suffer - with the jumping mostly. It's hard not to feel like it is punishment!

    Let's think on it. There must be way through. Can it be effort instead of suffering? Nobility instead of Punishment. I don't know. got to think on that.

    I have to ask - what is the C in the CTFU? I think I get the TFU...but I can't figure out what C is. Please help?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's ok to be grouchy, Tara! Ride it out! I guarantee there are more positive moments to come.

    I like us all being grouchy in waves so that someone's always feeling positive enough to give us extra support. :)

    ReplyDelete