Monday, July 12, 2010

Day 42: Celebrations and PCP

Having just gotten through the toddler birthday party with flying colors, I have more challenges ahead this week. When did social events start to look like challenges? When I started the PCP, that's when.

Tomorrow is my mother's birthday, and I know there will be food involved in the celebration. (I'm not going to mention where we're taking her because she reads this blog and I want her to be surprised. No hints, Mom!) And then Wednesday is our daughter's *actual* birthday, which is also Bastille Day, and we're having some French friends over to celebrate. One of the friends is a professional pastry chef (she made our wedding cake and now runs a thriving cake business) and I'm betting she's going to bring something gorgeous and tempting. We might have dinner plans with other friends on Thursday, and then another kid birthday party is coming up Friday.

Wow, just writing all this down surprises me! Since we moved back to Kentucky a year ago, our social calendar has been pretty bare, but it's nice that we're making some friends and having more things to do. But it comes up against one of the hardest things about the PCP: dealing with the social pressure to eat, drink, and be merry.

My friends and family love me and want me to succeed with this, so I'm lucky that I don't have any underminers in my life at the moment. At the same time, I don't like being the one on the "special diet" and having to bring my own food, etc. I don't want to look like the crazy anorexic neurotic person who has to control every bite she puts in her mouth. I want to be the healthy, fit person who has balance in all things. I'm hoping that this week's diet brings a more "normal" dinner instead of the apple/egg white situation, but I'm not holding my breath. :-)

Whatever I'm supposed to eat, I'll eat it. I'll figure it out. I'm very happy with my meals these days, it just becomes tougher in social situations. Just like I did with the birthday party, I'm going to work on focusing on the people around me instead of the food, and I'll make the best choices I can.

Here's a BIG incentive to stick with it: I went to a store and tried on some clothes today, in a dressing room with one of those mirrors that lets you see your back side. Not usually a good thing, in my opinion, but today I was loving it! I'm certainly not where I want to be yet, but I can see SUCH a difference. The most surprising thing was that I can see a lot less cellulite! The lumpy bumpy stuff is going away and my overall shape is getting smoother. Yippee!

6 comments:

  1. Woot! Awesome, Tara. I felt the same way when I looked in the dressing room mirrors.

    Dude, my ass is currently trying to fall out of a size 0. I think my friends are actually starting to think of me as a, how did you put it, "crazy anorexic neurotic person." Still, I'm feeling light and strong and energetic, eating PLENTY, so I'm trying not to question. This intense discipline is only temporary, yes? :) I think that's what we just keep on telling ourselves to get through...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thank goodness the banana-egg white dinners don't last forever.
    Remember, it is 90 days of awkward evenings socially. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck with your busy week! youl be fine :) woohoo less cellulite! me too around the under butt region!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on a positive dressing room experience!! I wish I had some great advice about the awkward social evenings for you, but alas, I don't. I've been hermit-ing it up at dinnertime, to be honest, because I'm clueless about what to do in a restaurant situation. You've been handling all the social situations really well so far though, so keep coming back to that!

    ReplyDelete