Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Indulgence (a few days late)

I haven't had a chance to write about Indulgence #2 yet, so here it is! We went to a restaurant I've been wanting to try, Wiltshire on Market, with another couple. It was nice to get dressed up and go out! This particular restaurant is only open 3 nights a week (they started out as a catering company) and they focus on fresh, seasonal, mostly local food. They come up with a totally new menu every week.



Here's the cold glass of rose I enjoyed. Just one! And it was totally enough. I actually felt a little buzzed. When I was pregnant and also not drinking, my already low tolerance for alcohol shrank to just about nothing. I think the same thing's happening again. Hey, I'm a cheap date!



My starter: gazpacho with basil olive oil, plus some little toasted bread thingy with a little crushed olive. Gazpacho was delicious! Bread/olive were crazy salty.



My entree: prawns stuffed with crabmeat, and that pile in the middle is some fried onions atop some corn and tomato stuff. All incredibly delicious. Note that there are only three prawns. Something I really liked about this restaurant was that the portions were pretty small, at least compared to most American restaurants.



Dessert, shared with my husband: lemon tart, with a thin layer of dark chocolate between the lemon and the crust. This was the real eye-opener. Y'all know about my struggle with sweets -- sometimes I think I could just exist on sugar alone. The lemon tart was good, don't get me wrong, but the REALLY good thing on this plate was those raspberries sitting in whipped cream. I had a couple bites of the tart, then commenced to picking the raspberries out (I don't really like whipped cream) and moaning about how wonderful they were.

So, what did I learn? One glass of wine IS enough. I could easily have skipped dessert. The real pleasure of going out to dinner is being with friends, having a good conversation, and enjoying the surroundings. This kind of meal, enjoyed on an occasional basis, isn't going to cause a problem for me, especially if I approach it mindfully. Getting my day-to-day eating in a good place is much harder, although I'm starting to feel like I can do that.

2 downsides: I ate pretty much everything on my plate, because I'm not thinking about when I'm full these days. After I weigh my food, I eat it all because that's what I'm supposed to eat. I noticed that I was just finishing everything at the restaurant, out of habit. I'm hoping that in this last month I'll start to get a little bit more in touch with how much I should be eating. And I also had a stomachache when I went to bed. Nothing serious but I was uncomfortable. Maybe that's my lesson about eating everything on my plate!

OK, enough reminiscing. Workout time!

No comments:

Post a Comment