Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Day 36: Mind games?

My alarm went off at 3:30am this morning -- what time did YOU get up??


Actually, it was all okay. I had packed up my breakfast and morning snack the night before, ate some at home, ate in the car, ate at the radio station. Sometimes I feel like I'm just constantly eating. (But better than being hungry all the time, like every other time I've tried to lose weight or get in better shape.) I finished at 9am (thanks for listening, Jenny!) and headed home to work out.

Guess what? Jumping rope can actually be fun when you don't have knee pain! I really enjoyed my 1000 jumps today. I can tell how much stronger my cardiovascular conditioning is these days -- I don't get nearly as out of breath as I used to.

The Pro Tip of the day made me laugh: "If pistol squats are difficult for you..." IF?? Uh, yeah, they're difficult. Thank you, bathroom counter!

Also difficult: bicycle. Here's a problem I had with bicycle and with leg-ups: cramping along the outside of my left hip. I'm guessing it's because my abdominals are just not strong enough yet so I'm using some other muscle to do the motion? Any suggested stretches? It's really distracting.

But planks really got me today. Oh, plank, you are unforgiving. I could not stay up for 40 seconds at a time. First set, got there. Second set, more like 30 seconds before collapsing. The next two were even shorter so I just kept trying to stay up as long as I could, repeatedly, until I was a puddle on the floor. Am I really supposed to be able to get through 4 40-second planks at this point? Or is it an unattainable goal that I'm supposed to work towards nonetheless? I was feeling really discouraged, because I was giving everything I had and still couldn't do what was prescribed for today.

Or was I really giving everything? How do I know? I felt weak, wobbly, nauseous. I was grunting and yelling and gritting my teeth. (My throat is sore and scratchy now from yelling -- not a great thing for a radio announcer...) My point is: it was extremely intense, but how do I know I was doing my best? Could I have done more today? I just don't know.

I conked out for a 15-minute nap right after my shower, before I had to pick up my daughter, which I think will give me the energy to get through the rest of the day. Later on, I have to go right into the belly of the beast: going to this wonderful bakery to order a cake for the birthday party this Saturday. I'm not sure what kind of cake I'm going to get, and my mom suggested I sample a few to decide, but I think I'll let the toddler do the sampling and see what she likes. No reason to confuse my system with a bunch of sugar.

Back on the early shift again tomorrow morning!

5 comments:

  1. Well, I didn't get up at 3:30! Whoa! :)

    You know, I was having the same thoughts this morning..."am I really giving it my all right now?" After reading your post, I think yes to both of us. If you're working that hard, you are giving it your all. It took me a good hour or two to really feel recovered from the workout today. Oh, the days ahead are going to be a challenge. :-0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Planks are totally a test of will. I think the mental game is the biggest part of getting through the seconds, as they seem to slow right around when all your muscles begin to shake uncontrollably.
    The only thing that seems to help me is visualizing being a plank of wood or some sort of thing rooted in the ground that is completely stable, unmovable and thus, will withstand another ten seconds... probably...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can most definitely do the full time in planks. Dig deep, accept the pain and keep the breath smooth and slow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is an impressive day! Of course you gave the workout all you had - I can't believe you even got thru it with everything else going on!!
    A trick for planks - just think about breathing. Set a timer so you don't have to watch the clock, and try to focus on in and out and not how much time you have left. you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pistol squats and bicycle were difficult to me, too.

    I am really impressed with all the things you have done in one day with only 15 min. nap. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete