Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day 12 & 13: Frustrated but not discouraged

It's been a busy couple of days, and I haven't had time to write or read my teammates' blogs this weekend. I'm sorry I haven't been able to be more supportive of you guys! I'm going to remedy that as soon as I finish writing this.

This is a bit of a tough weekend for me, because my husband is working all weekend which means I'm on solo kid duty the whole time. My husband doesn't work a M-F schedule, and it's relatively rare that he works all weekend, but it happens. My daughter goes to daycare in the mornings on the weekdays, so that's when I've been exercising, showering, and prepping my meals. I haven't had that time these couple of days. She naps for about 2 hours in the middle of the day, which is just enough time to work out, shower and make and eat lunch. That means little time to do other things around the house that need to get done too. I find myself feeling a little envious of my child-free friends who have so much time for themselves, and I have boundless respect for moms who stay at home full-time with no outside childcare. It's exhausting being with a little kid all day, and when I have a break (i.e., her nap) the last thing I want to do is go jump rope. But jump I have!

This leads me to the first problem I'm dealing with: knee pain. Yup, it's come to get me too. My left knee cracks frequently, but it's never painful. Yesterday during my last 200 jumps, the left knee started talking to me, softly at first, then more loudly. Nothing snapped or popped or happened suddenly -- it just gradually got more sore. I finished the jumps and was able to do my squats without too much trouble. But for the rest of the day I noticed the pain.

This morning, knee pain was still there, and a little sharper than yesterday. What to do? I don't want to injure myself, and I don't want to wimp out. So, I took some ibuprofen and I jumped. My form has gotten a lot better and I can usually do 30-40 jumps without stopping now, which is pretty fun (and amazing to me). After 500 jumps I was about to cry because my knee was hurting so badly. I took a break, did 100 more, and then decided I was done with jumping for the day. Couldn't do the lunges either -- I did one set of each and it really did not feel good.

So I'm not sure what to do tomorrow. I hate the idea of missing a day. The only reason I can face each day's workout is that I know I did it yesterday. If I'm nervous about the number of jumps, I just tell myself that I did almost that many yesterday, so what's another 50? Resting, really resting for the rest of the day isn't an option, since I have a 2-year-old to deal with. I think I'll just see how the knee feels tomorrow.

I'm disappointed that my body isn't cooperating right now. I was seriously ill as a child and again as a teenager, and I've always felt like I can't trust my body. I don't know how else to explain it. The first time that I felt like I could trust my body was when I was pregnant -- I had an easy pregnancy and an uncomplicated birth, and I was so proud to feel like a normal person, maybe even a strong person. When I trained for my first 5K, I did the "Couch to 5K" program, gradually introducing running into my walks. But I found that I couldn't keep up -- when the program said I should be moving ahead with more running, I wasn't strong enough and had to take it more slowly. So far this program has been great, and I feel like I'm able to keep up and getting stronger all the time. I don't want to jeopardize that now.

The positives: I can see a difference when I look in the mirror. I don't know if anybody else can see it, but I know my body and I know that it's changing for the good. That is a tremendous incentive to continue, to make the most of every workout, to watch my food carefully, and to keep writing about it all.

Hope everybody is doing well -- I'm going to read your blogs right now!

7 comments:

  1. Elena,

    I am sending you a great email that I got from a former PCP participant about knees.

    Mine is doing much better, but I did decide to rest it - and to start back in pretty slowly. I'm defiantly falling behind in jumping. But I think it is better than hurting it again. I'd rather build up my strength slowly. (But then I'm a middle aged broad....)

    I understand about not trusting your body. Take it slow. Remember, you (and your body) are doing the best you can.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara you are amazing! Sounds like you had a super challenging weekend and you rose to the challenge with full force!
    I'd say go easy on the knee for a day or two. Remember, PCP success is 80% diet, so missing a day or two of the workout isn't going to hinder you too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Listen to your body. It's good to push through muscle burn, but not good to push through knee pain that sticks with you. Maybe try some ice packs after you jump? I have a friend who ices her legs after every run. She swears by it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tara, I admire you doing PCP while taking care of your family. Missing a day or two of the workout doesn't mean that you do not trust your body.
    You've started PCP, that means you trust your body! You are great Mother, woman, and a brave PCP warrior!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really look admire you for taking on EVERYTHING ALL at once and the pcp. TRUE CHAMPION! KEEP IT UP! you are UNSTOPPABLE

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tara, you are doing so well. Like Royce, i really admire what your doing, it cant be easy, but you are pushing through and its great! ive been getting slight knee pain when jumping too, its not that serious tho, just comes slightly while im jumping which is a pain!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve had knee problems most of my life and I was worried about how they would hold up during the PCP. This sounds crazy but my knees are better than they’ve been in a couple decades because of the PCP and you will probably find this also. As you go on, you’re losing weight, so less stress on your knees. You’re also strengthen muscles and joints around your knee that is providing more support that has never been there before. So, it’s important to really concentrate on your leg exercises. These are making your knee stronger. In my times of pain, I took pills and carried on. It’s a temporary solution but I think you’ll find it the right choice. Work through the pain and it will get better.

    ReplyDelete