Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day 17: Time Management

Today was really frustrating in terms of time spent, lost, wasted, or frittered away. I didn't have much to do today, and my husband was off work, so one would think that getting a workout in would be a snap. Yeah, not so much.

I'm still struggling with the knee pain so I'm taking advantage of the advice to walk or swim instead of jumping rope. I like walking and I love swimming, so that's no problem -- the only issue is time. Both walking and swimming take more time than jumping. I can drive to the pool at the gym (20 minutes each way) or I can go to my neighborhood pool (5 minute walk) but that pool doesn't open until 11am. We've had highs in the mid 90s all week so unless I can walk early, it's not really "brisk walking" weather.

I won't go into all the details, but the two appointments I had today didn't happen on time, things got pushed back, I had to pick my daughter up from school, one thing overlapped onto another, and then it was 4:30 and I hadn't been able to exercise at all. All three of us packed up and went to the pool, where I did laps while my husband played with our daughter on the other side. A few times she started crying for me so I walked up and down the length of the pool (in the water) as fast as I could with her in my arms -- that's not bad exercise either!

I didn't get to do my strength exercises until after putting her to bed, because my husband had to go out, but I did finally get them all done. Incline pull-up still feels like a joke -- all the muscles tense up but nothing happens!

So I did get it done, but I was anxious all day about it. This is why I prefer morning workouts.

I see why Patrick warned us that this week is tricky from a mental standpoint. I remember Royce said he usually wound up quitting any new health regimen around three weeks in, and I think that's about when I usually quit too. I'm just sick enough of the disruption to my regular life, and I haven't seen enough results to feel re-energized. I'm just going to keep moving forward, doing the best I can every day, with the faith that by next week I'll feel better.

One thing I do is imagine how I would feel if I quit today -- if I told everybody that I'm just not going to be able to do this, thanks for watching. When I really imagine it, in great detail, I'm reminded about how much I really DO want to do this, even though it's hard. I also imagine what it would feel like to cheat -- to go get some ice cream, to skip a workout, to have a couple of glasses of wine. That doesn't really feel good either. I'm proud of myself for the work I've done over the last 17 days, and I want to keep building on it.

Hang in there, everybody!

8 comments:

  1. I would be devastated if you decided to quit! But not as devastated as you would be - that's the important thing. You're right to circle back on your true goals and motivations and focus on those over the short-term negative ones. It's tough, but we are ascending the PEAK, we gotta at least just check out what's on top, right? Right!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ain't quitting -- no way, no how. Not publicly, not secretly. It's just good to check in with that feeling and remember that I'm CHOOSING to do this. Helps me feel less grumpy. :) To the peak.... and beyond! (Buzz Lightyear voice there)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep at it! I know what you mean. I'm entering my fifth week of seriously working out regularly - at least 5 times a week, hard core aerobics and weight lifting for at least 30 minutes to an hour or more each time - and continuing to watch carefully what I eat and journaling every single calorie - and I haven't lost a single pound. Still, I feel better about myself and do see changes in my body. It's a good thing. Or so I keep telling myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are doing the best you can and I admire you !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, remember YOU chose this. And you're pretty smart for doing so!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahahah us and our quitting fantasies! " I WONDER IF I COULD EAT THIS WHOLE CAKE ....AND JUST NOT BLOG ABOUT IT...NO ONE WOULD EVER BE THE WISER" haha We just have to keep reminding ourselves that WE WOULD be the wiser, WE would know. and Quitting , especially this, with all the people that know about it and are doing it, would be FAR MORE complicated and regretful than quitting any other past regime. the results will come, very soon! pussh on, VENT, RAGE, YOUR DOING AWESOME

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh god, Tara...I want to quit just for Saturday. Big birthday party at the spring, lots of cold, cold beer, cupcakes involving banana, chocolate, bacon & coffee icing....and, so much fun. But, I've already planned to make a ton of iced mint tea & packing all my pre-weighed lunch & snacks.

    I just tell myself I'll have to best body in a bathing suit at the springs! :) Booyah!

    ReplyDelete