Sunday, June 27, 2010

Day 27: Indulgence Coma

Here it is, the carrot cake that served as my indulgence yesterday. We didn't have time to go to the bakery I really wanted to visit but my husband reminded me about another good place closer to us. Look at this massive hunk of cake. Even before PCP I would have been happy with a slice half this size. I am still stunned at restaurant portions of food and what people think is a "piece" of cake.

The cake was yummy, moist and full of nuts, and spiced just right. The icing was a little gelatinous, not really great. Usually the icing is my favorite part of carrot cake, but not this one. All in all, it was pretty good, although I couldn't get anywhere near finishing it all. After a few bites, I felt like I had tasted it and didn't need to eat more. And it was, to use Elena's word, meh.

The funny thing was what happened afterwards -- a wave of fatigue just hit me suddenly, about 45 minutes after eating the cake. I was driving and I started yawning uncontrollably. We got home and all of my limbs felt heavy, my eyelids felt heavy, and all I could do was sit on the couch. I was tempted to take a nap, but there wasn't time. Wow. I never remember having such a strong reaction to sugar before. Maybe I didn't realize how much better I've been feeling. It took about 20 minutes to recover and start to feel like myself again, and then I really enjoyed my healthy dinner.

It was nice to eat something "indulgent" without feeling the least bit guilty, so that in itself was a new experience. I'm not sure that I really had the best carrot cake in town, so the Platonic ideal of carrot cake is still sitting there in my mind, taunting me a little bit. But the way I felt afterward was so awful that the temptation is much less powerful. This exercise was extremely instructive, in showing me that what I think I want really doesn't make me feel good at all. It's not about some external idea of what is "good" or "bad" behavior, but about how I want to feel. The whole time I was feeling zoned out, I was trying to pay attention and remember those sensations so I can call on them the next time I want some sweets.

And here's the kicker: I had a bowl of beautiful ripe cherries for my evening snack, and they were soooo good. With every bite, I kept saying, yum, these are so delicious. I enjoyed them a lot more than the cake, and I didn't feel terrible after finishing them. I can hardly believe this is me saying that cherries were better than carrot cake, but I can also hardly believe I'm the person working out every day. (I'm also the person who's lost 10 pounds this month so BOO-YA.)

Oddly, looking forward to the workout today too. What is happening to me?? :-)

7 comments:

  1. haha read it as " beautiful ripe cheerios"... I bet I could of finished that whole slice...next indulgence...bubby rose cafe carrot cake!!!!

    AND WHAT'S WITH THAT!? I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO WORKOUT TODAY TOO! we've gone MAD, SIMPLY MAD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, what could be happening to all of you? Very odd!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :)!!

    That carrot cake is ginormous!! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Sounds like an indulgence success of the first degree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's interesting to see how our body react after 4 weeks of PCP diet !

    ReplyDelete
  6. im not a fan of carrot cake, but that looks good! im not sure if im at the stage of looking forward to my workout but I dont mind doing it which is a little surprising. yum cherries!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There was a big table of pastries at this brunch yesterday. And yet I passed by, for I had spied a bowl of small, just off the organic Vermont strawberry patch lovelinesses... It actually looked better to me. Seriously.

    Oh for small red sweet balls of fruit. How Sexaaay is that...?

    ReplyDelete