Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Day 8 Thoughts

So, it's the first day of our new diet plans and our upgraded exercise plans. I'm eating my mid-morning snack (130g of blueberries, which is actually a lot) and my current thoughts are: really? Really?!

First, the food. I could not believe how much I ate for breakfast this morning, even though I was careful and weighed everything out. I spent a lot of time doing Weight Watchers, which allows you to make choices based on "points" which are calculated through the ratio of fat, calories and fiber in any particular food. You get so many "points" a day that you can eat, and you can have anything you want as long as you stick to your points limit, making sure you include 5 servings of fruit or veg, 2 servings low-fat dairy, and "limited" sugar & alcohol. Never a word about salt. I did okay on WW a couple of times -- I do realize that's like saying I quit smoking a couple of times, didn't really work, did it? -- but I got used to very small portion sizes. I was terribly hungry for much of the time, but I did lose weight. There was only so long that I could stick it out to be that hungry, though, so I would eventually slack off and then quit altogether. So in the end, WW didn't work for me in a sustainable way, but my mind is conditioned to smaller portions if I'm trying to lose weight. My very full plate at breakfast was a little disconcerting, but I'm very glad not to be hungry.

Second, the exercise -- if I felt like a badass for doing 500 jumps yesterday, I *really* feel like a badass today, with 600 jumps followed by all the strength training. The 600 jumps were pretty tough. The incline pull-ups were a total bust -- if I keep my body rigid as instructed, nothing comes off the ground when I pull up. So I just did all the reps, with nothing coming off the ground, and felt kinda silly. I thought I had some better upper-body strength from lifting a 25-pound kid all day, but I still have a long way to go.

One other thought that came into my head as I was getting through those jumps: maybe I've taken on too much. I was asking myself, "Why did I think I could get into peak condition? I'm not even in average condition. Maybe I need to do The Average Condition Project first." I'm half-kidding and I was kind of laughing to myself as I was saying this, but it's also kind of true. I'm seeing how much time and effort this is going to require and I can feel part of myself start to pull back.

BUT -- the important thing is that I did all the exercises ANYWAY, I'm eating according to the plan I've been given ANYWAY. I have doubt about my own abilities but I'm not going to listen to that at the moment. I think part of me is a little afraid of what life will be like if I'm really in good shape, since I've spent so much of my life being out of shape. It's funny to think about being afraid of something you want, but I know it happens all the time. I'm going to focus on today, and the workout I just gave my best effort. And lunch. What's for lunch?

How's everybody else doing?

7 comments:

  1. thank you very much for this post. I just woke up and this really motivates me to get up and push through it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're anything like me, I can almost guarantee it will feel overwhelming at some point. And not just "I'm not sure I'm cut out for this" overwhelming, but "this is way way way too much on my plate right now" overwhelming. Just ride it out, blog about it, and let other people help when you need it. The portions go down, so it's easier to eat and prepare, and much faster. :) Eating raw fruit and veggies keeps prep time down too. Same with cooking several days worth of protein and carbs at once (or using premade carbs-i.e. presliced bread).

    It's tough, but totally worth it. Think of how good you'll feel at the end! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara, you can DEFINITELY do this! And maybe the biggest challenge for you, at first, will be to fight those self-doubting thoughts. I also have some of that strange fear of what things will be like if I actually get the body I have wanted for so long. But, I just try to stifle those worries when they come up and focus on the micro, in-the-moment goals.
    Also, I did WW also, to some success, but it didn't help me figure out how to exercise, stay fit, AND eat in a sustainable way. That's where it seems like PCP has it beat, big time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Average condition is a rest stop. Go straight for the Peak :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you must have missed our other program, the Pretty Good Condition Project! Guess you'll just have to stick with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anyway~!!!! That is the attitude...I'm going to do it anyway.

    I'm with you --- peak condition? Oh my gosh...how about subpar condition. I've decided pcp for me stands for Personal Choice Program. I'm choosing to do it all anyway, my way, all the way.

    I guess peak is what individual. My peak. Tara's peak! There may be another peak to climb in the future but for now - you're headed in the right direction...

    ReplyDelete
  7. A friend asked me if I had any weight goals for this program or any strength training milestones to shoot for -- but I don't. My goal is to follow the program as closely as possible every day, and then we'll see what happens. I don't see getting to a six-pack from my current jelly belly in 90 days, but I know I'm going to be in "Hell of a Lot Better Than Before" Condition at least!

    ReplyDelete