Monday, June 7, 2010

Day 7: Glass half full

(Get it? Glass half full? On the last day of the half-diet? Ha, I crack me up.)

Still hanging in there on the half-diet, and doing pretty well. My husband and I have recently established a tradition of Sunday dinners, when we invite a couple of friends over, sometimes my parents too, and have a nice dinner together. We have some very close Israeli friends in New York who always observe a Friday night Shabbat dinner, and we loved the idea that there's one night a week when everybody tries to be home, we take our time with preparing food, we invite guests to join in, and we take a moment to appreciate and reflect on the week. Last night we had some grilled beef ribs with a Korean marinade (yum!), roasted asparagus, a lovely salad with strawberries, and then my mom made these amazing little chocolate egg-white souffles. I ate small portions of everything and had only one glass of wine the whole evening. Luckily the company and conversation distracted me from obsessing about what I wasn't eating, and I had a great time.

Which brings me to my current fears: when we start our "real" PCP diets tomorrow, I'm nervous about what it's going to be like. I really appreciated Patrick's email telling us to get prepared and to let friends and family know that things are going to be different. My husband and my parents are super-supportive, but I know that I'll still have to make some hard choices.

As far as I can tell, I'm the only one in our group that lives with a partner -- is that right? (Sorry if I've missed something.) I usually cook dinner for both of us, so I'm going to have to get creative with making sure I'm eating what I need and finding a way to have something he likes too. (He's the one with the full-time outside-of-the-home job, working 12-14 hours a day so I kind of feel like one thing I can do to help him is make dinner. I have some issues about being the "housewife," can you tell? I worked full-time until about a year ago and I'm still negotiating this stay-at-home mom thing in my head.) He likes healthy food but I would say he prefers to eat a little more "traditionally" -- more meat, more foods with sauces, etc. He doesn't have any weight issues, though, and doesn't want to be "doing PCP" with me, although he is totally cheering me on. It's tough when one partner decides to make a change and the other one is not. So this is one challenge ahead of me: he and I will have to figure out how to get a meal on the table that we can both live with.

Getting ready to go jump rope -- kind of nice to have a day off from strength training, eh? -- and I really appreciate everybody's thoughts about jumping. I think there has to be a balance between thinking and not thinking about it. Like, to a certain point you have to think about it, because there are basic physical and technical things that have to come together in order to jump. But then once a certain competency has been reached, it's probably better to NOT think about it. I'm still in the "need to think about it" stage with jumping -- and there's no shame in that, considering I never did it at all before a week ago. I'm curious to see what it will be like to do 500 jumps today.

Go team! You guys are inspiring!

2 comments:

  1. I know! its a little hard - I live with my partner also, he didnt want to do PCP - and hes in good shape anyway. But he wants to eat healthy too, which is good. So were just buying healthy stuff. We pretty much have the same dinner only he has more. Hes not allowed junk food in front of me tho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! I wouldn't say that my husband doesn't like healthy food, but he definitely likes a little salt on things, and depending on the dish, some cheese. He was having his usual post-dinner snack of dark chocolate and red wine last night and he said, "This isn't bothering you, is it?" Actually, it didn't!

    ReplyDelete