Thursday, June 24, 2010

Day 24: Cravings? What Cravings?

Patrick's post today about changing habits and being strict at first really hit home with me. I've had a bad habit of picking up a "treat" for myself every time I go to the grocery store, drugstore, Target, wherever there are sweets near the checkout. A couple of months ago I decided that if I could just cut out those treats, I'd be in a lot better shape. I stopped cold turkey for a while but then backslid, and then was continuing to get those sweets up until the day I started the PCP. Since then, I haven't done it once, but I've thought about it every time I was in a store.

This morning, I ran into Target to pick up a new battery for my food scale, and it was only as I was walking out the door with my purchase that I realized I hadn't thought about getting myself something sweet. It just didn't come up. I walked all over that store looking for the batteries, and I looked at a lot of other things, but not food.

(Let's not discuss how pitiful it is that I've been eating crap from Target. We're not here to judge, people. (I'm saying that to remind myself not to judge, just observe and make changes. Blurrggh.))

So hurrah! Something is actually changing inside!

Something that's not changing so quickly is my knee, which is still giving me varying amounts of trouble. Patrick had advised me to stay away from the jumprope until it's better, but that I don't have to wait until I'm totally pain-free. So this morning, after my 30 min on the elliptical but before I started the rest of my workout, I picked up the jumprope. Ouch! Nope, still can't jump. Frustrating!!

If I can't jump, this makes my day a lot more complicated. I either have to drive 15 minutes to the gym (and my membership expires at the end of June because I decided I didn't need it anymore), or walk an hour in the blazing heat, or go swimming at the pool which doesn't open until 11am (which is an hour before I need to pick up my daughter at daycare). If I can't jump, it's tough to get in my workout on the days that I'm on solo with my daughter, because I can jump and do everything else while she's napping, but I can't leave the house. Not jumping means more time spent working out, which is the one thing I have to manage most carefully. I'm thinking of every possible alternative -- I may have to get a sitter for a couple of hours, or I may be working out at 5am for the next few days, just to make sure it gets done. Add to the complication that I'm going to be working at the radio station several times over the next few days, and I'm just not sure how it's going to get done.

But it will get done. For 24 days straight, I have gotten it done. Every day feels like a victory. I just have to stay one day ahead of things and make sure I have a plan for tomorrow.

I've been inspired by all of you really digging in to your workout and going for the burn, so I took that inspiration into my workout today. It was really tough but I didn't mind it! It felt like my eyes were going to pop out of my sockets on the last set of plank. Does that mean I'm doing it right? It didn't look that way in the picture. ;-)

4 comments:

  1. i know what ya mean! i pretty much brought a lolly or a chocolate everytime i went to the shop. hooray for not thinking about the sweet stuff! thats a real bugger about your knee, hope it gets better soon! uurrgh that plank is awful. your looking great in your pic this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I really relate to this. Every single DAY i treated myself to a fist sized carrot cake from the " vegan, gluten free, organic bakery" around the corner... OOO SO HEAAALTHY, VEGAN AND ORGANIC packed with sugar and made my stomach fat. Then I would eat a whole bag of tortillas and a bucket of hummus.

    It's great that our cravings are just vanishing more and more every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes, I couldn't resist cakes and chocolate before PCP.
    I even had an ice cream 1st week of PCP!
    I am very happy with my daily fruits now.

    I hope your knee gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Around the middle of my PCP I started getting up at 5am to knock out my PCP workouts. My son (just over 1) and daughter (3.5) don't wake up until 6:30 at the earliest (well ok sometimes the baby is just in a mood at 4am, but besides those times) and just when the sun is rising, the humidity is low, the world is quiet and calm, and it's just good to zone out and get it done.
    Also as I am sure Patrick has or will tell you, working out in the morning before breakfast is a great fat burn.
    So if you can, make the effort to get up early and get it done!

    ReplyDelete