Thursday, June 10, 2010

Dinner success!

Just wanted to share a successful supper that both my husband and I ate tonight. Here's the recipe for Soft Tacos with Fish & Spinach.

It didn't start out looking so promising: tomatillos pureed with cilantro, garlic, jalapeno, and onion. (I left out the salt, figuring my husband could put some on his portion later.)



It had a really terrible green color that reminded me of witches' brew. It also reminded me of a legendary bad dish I once made with fish -- so terrible that neither of us could eat it. But it smelled good, and it brightened up quite a bit once I blended some more fresh cilantro into it.

I also had to steam a mountain of spinach.



I got whole wheat tortillas for me and regular white flour tortillas for my husband. Here's how my plate looked:



We both agreed it was delicious! I sprinkled a tiny bit of feta cheese on top (as the recipe suggested) which cut the heat of the jalapenos nicely. The beer my husband was drinking presumably did the same. :)

It was a ton of work, and seemed to use every dish in our kitchen, but it was tasty and healthy and I have lots of leftovers for tomorrow's lunch.

And Jenny, this is for you:



This is the Mario Batali salt cellar that my husband got me for my birthday a couple of years ago. Note that there are two wells for two different kinds of salt -- because sometimes you need kosher salt and sometimes you need table salt. I don't think I use much salt when cooking at home anyway, and I bet that eliminating processed food will cut most of the salt I was eating. But I'm sticking to plan and not adding any salt to my cooking, just to see what happens. So far it's fine, but I definitely feel the urge to sprinkle in a little bit anyway.

Hope everybody had a great day 10!

1 comment:

  1. hahaha! cool contraption...i wonder how well it keeps humidity out? biggest salt problem i have down here! well, besides that fact that I can't eat it right now. :)

    also, corn tortillas are really nice too. the ones i found at my local supermarket were lower sodium and taste very nice heated up in a pan with a bit of olive oil rubbed in the bottom.

    ReplyDelete