Sunday, June 6, 2010

Day 5/6: What I'm Learning

First, this public service announcement: when you're setting your alarm clock, just do a quick check to make sure the AM/PM thing is set correctly. :)

I'm at another of my part-time jobs today, hosting Weekend Edition Sunday on my local NPR news station. I got here in enough time to be prepared for my first newscast, but it wasn't the best start to the day. I managed to throw some fruit and a granola bar (not ideal but it was what I could bring) in my bag on my way out the door, since I'll be in this studio until 11am.

I've learned -- or maybe should say, RE-learned -- a couple of things already this week, and I'm feeling so grateful. If I were to go no farther with the PCP than this point (don't worry, folks, I'm in for the long haul), I would have these things to take with me.

First, the half-diet has been revelatory. I do not need nearly as much food as I think I do, and I've been eating way too much, just out of habit. Look, I love food, and I think it's one of life's great pleasures -- but really, the first few bites taste the best, and the awareness I've had to summon this week has made me realize that I don't need as *much* food in order to enjoy it.

Last night, my husband and I went to a Palestianian restaurant for dinner, one of those places that isn't much to look at but has fantastic food. We split their sampler platter with baba ganoush, falafel, chicken kebab, lamb shawarma, a couple of different kinds of salads, and pita bread. (The only problem was they were out of hummus -- what kind of Mediterranean restaurant runs out of hummus??) I tasted everything and it was all great. But I STOPPED eating much earlier than I would have had I not been paying attention. At the point I stopped, I felt like I could eat more, but I really wasn't hungry anymore. It was probably still more calories than I should be having at this point but I'm proud of myself that I made such a big change. I understand that much bigger food changes are ahead for us, but this has been terrific all on its own.

The other thing I've relearned is how good exercise makes me feel, both physically and mentally. Whenever I've gotten into a regular exercise habit, I've been able to maintain it by reminding myself that exercise is as much for my mental health as for my physical health. When I'm getting enough exercise, my state of mind is sunnier and I feel more capable of taking on difficult things. I believe there are very real biochemical effects from exercise that can be as good or better than any antidepressant medication. Even though our workouts have been short this week, just the act of getting my heart rate up and getting all sweaty has done wonders for my state of mind.

I'm super-inspired by what's gone on so far. I know things are going to get harder, so I'm happy that I already have some things to take away even before I see any physical results. And it's a pleasure to be on this journey with my PCP teammates -- you guys are terrific!

Happy Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with all these lessons learned so far! I do think it's going to get much, much harder - both physically but also mentally, but it is great to have each other to boost the collective group into tackling this ambitious goal!

    ReplyDelete