Friday, June 18, 2010

Day 18: Chugging along

Managed to do a one-hour fast walk in the searing Kentucky heat this morning. If I walk tomorrow, I'm going earlier! It was fine, though, and I felt good afterwards. Thank goodness for podcasts -- listened to a recent This American Life that I had missed and that kept my brain occupied.

My knee is still pretty painful, and actually seemed worse after swimming yesterday. The sideways action of swimming breaststroke was pulling something funny. I'm still frustrated about it -- when you're hanging out with a toddler, you spend a lot of time on the floor, and it's painful to get down on the floor or to get up. I'm taking ibuprofen regularly and just hoping that some time away from the jump rope will help. I think I went back to jumping too quickly, so I'm going to continue subbing in something else until I am pain-free. I know that continued weight loss will take some pressure off the knee, and I hope the muscles around the knee are getting stronger to support it.

I feel like I've turned a corner on my acceptance of this whole thing. Yes, I have to do a lot of planning, cooking, and cleaning. Yes, I have to make time to exercise. Yes, life would be "easier" right now without those things. But today I'm kind of feeling like, okay, whatever, let's see what's for lunch. Not agonizing about it, not obsessing about it, just doing it. I'll deal with the knee annoyance one day at a time.

Almost out of fruit & veggies! Good thing my local farmers' market is tomorrow.

I wanted to share this article from the NY Times about the metabolic effects of exercise. Interesting stuff.

Happy Friday, everybody!

4 comments:

  1. The feelings of acceptance and aversion will continue to battle for the next few weeks. Good thing we know which side will win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thats a pain about your knee, hang in there, your doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One-hour fast walk in the heat makes me feel dizzy!
    Hope you have a pain-free life back soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walking is just about the only exercise I can stand to do in the early a.m. A full hour of brisk walking is great! In case you run out of podcasts to walk to, I really recommend the podcasts of this Radio 4 show: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qykl
    Even when the topic is one that doesn't initially grab me, I invariably become fascinated by the conversation and learn a lot!

    ReplyDelete