Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Day 9: Ouch! And really walking on my legs

Woke up this morning with real soreness in the muscles just under and behind my armpits. I don't know what they're called but they were talking to me pretty loudly. I caved and took some ibuprofen, and now they're feeling better. I don't like to take painkillers often, but lifting my daughter was actually a challenge this morning so I decided I needed the help.

But the soreness in those back muscles was nothing compared to the way my lower legs were yelling at me during my jumps! I don't know what this is called either -- above my ankles (so not my Achilles, I think) and below my calf muscle. Yow!! I stopped in between sets of 100 jumps and did a lot of stretching and ankle circles. I think I need to start stretching better before jumping.

The rest of the exercises went fine, although the leg-ups were really tough. I found myself wondering if and when I will ever really enjoy exercise. I enjoy the feeling that comes from having done it, but I wish I enjoyed the exercise itself. I started running about a year ago, with the encouragement of a good friend who has become a runner and really loves it. I dutifully went through the Couch to 5K training program, although I found it hard to keep up with -- you alternate walking and running, but I always felt like I was struggling to do the running. I've now done 2 5K runs, and while the events themselves were fun and exciting, I never got to the point where I really liked running. Is it possible I just didn't stick with it long enough? Or will I never really like exercise? At the moment, it doesn't matter so much: I'm doing this program whether I "like" it or not, and I'm committed to it. But in the long term, it's going to be hard to sustain an exercise program if I'm always dreading it. This is something to observe and see what happens.

I found a really yummy salsa at my local market that really zings up my pasta and chicken/shrimp -- I checked the ingredients carefully and it's only tomatoes, onions, garlic, cilantro, lime and mango, no salt or oil. There's very little mango so I'm counting it as vegetable. I took out a few grams of veg and put a couple of spoonfuls of salsa over my food & mixed it all around -- deeeeelish. No issues with the food at this point, just working out time to fix everything. But I can see right now how prepping a bunch of things at once will make a big difference on an daily basis.

One positive thing I'm already noticing is how I'm standing taller and really walking on my legs. I noticed this after I first started doing yoga, a few years back -- I'm aware of my legs being strong and really carrying the rest of my body around. It's a little hard to describe but that's the best way I know to put it. It feels wonderful and that's one thing that's keeping me going.

It's naptime for my daughter so that means it's naptime for me. When she wakes up, I'll be taking to a place we affectionately call "bouncy castle madness." It's basically a big room (you can rent it out for parties) that has a bunch of different bouncy castle things in it, and they have a few open play sessions each week. It's a rainy day here in Louisville so an indoor activity will be nice today. She LOVES going to "bouncy castle" and I have to agree it's pretty fun, although it can be exhausting. (Maybe I should have waited to do my jumps there!) This is one of the benefits of being home with a toddler: my Wednesday afternoons never used to involve jumping around like a lunatic and falling down and laughing. (Or if they did, it was a really, really bad day. And no laughing.)

This is one of the reasons I'm doing the PCP: I want to be able to take my daughter to the bouncy castle place and not dread it. I want her to see her mom being active and healthy and optimistic. I want her to have happy memories of her childhood and I want to be able to enjoy it for a long time to come.

Happy day 9, everybody!

3 comments:

  1. You know, I started running about 10 years ago. I'd never run over 2 miles, then one day I ran a 10K (Atlanta Peachtree Road Race, actually running it again in a few weeks, 5th time, I think) with my stepfather. His son had injured himself, I took his number. It was fun! Lots of people, music & entertainment. But, I could barely walk the next day!

    Took me a couple years before I really enjoyed runs...and, even now, somedays are just tough! I always just signed up for another race. And, knowing I had to keep in shape for it was motivating for me. I've honestly been enjoying these workouts, a break from running! I think you'll find a point when it's fun, esp. as you improve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara, I think it's really inspiring that your motivation comes from wanting to be an active mother. It's hard enough to raise a child, but to also want to set a healthy example and practice what you preach is HUGE, and most people don't go that far. Just wanted to let you know that I find it very admirable that you're doing this for yourself, and for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so great that you're realizing that to be a good mother you've got to take care of yourself - not just everyone else.

    So easy to get lost.

    So glad you're not.

    ReplyDelete